In 2000, Cumberland County celebrated its 250th anniversary. It became the second county west of the Susquehanna, following York, when it was established in 1750. At that time it covered all of Pennsylvania west of the Susquehanna River and north of York County and Maryland. Eventually, 48 other counties were formed from it.
Three signers of the Declaration of Independence - James Wilson, James Smith and George Ross - were practicing attorneys in Cumberland County. In early June 1863, the county was invaded by Confederate forces who camped in and around Carlisle, the county seat. A front pillar of the old courthouse was hit by a cannon ball when the Confederates shelled Carlisle on July 1, 1863. Jim Thorpe began his unparalleled athletic career at the Carlisle Indian Industrial School.
Cumberland County has 555 square miles and consistently maintains one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state. Residents enjoy both urban and rural settings within the county. County government and the military installations are the largest employers, and the majority of jobs are in the services. Other major employers are Giant Foods and HighMark.
Cumberland County Facts
- County Seat
- Carlisle, PA